Monday 20 October 2014

George Ultra Lounge



Lamb bacon salad (House cured lamb bacon, radishes, endive, bourbon vinaigrette) 3.5/5 - The lamb bacon was a little salty but fine eating with the salad.  The seasoning was something special and more than just pepper.
Local autumn squash bisque, Truffle oil, fresh micro greens 3/5 - I could not taste any truffle oil!  The bisque was fine but a little to dull without the truffle oil.  The micro greens were fresh though.

Local autumn squash bisque, Truffle oil, fresh micro greens 3/5 - I could not taste any truffle oil!  The bisque was fine but a little to dull without the truffle oil.  The micro greens were fresh though.


AAA flatiron steak (Citrus & mild chili marinated & grilled, pineapple chorizo sausage fried risotto, tomatillo puree) 2.5/5 - Our server did not ask me how I wanted my steak.  She told me the chef prepared it already when I asked her.  She said it should be between medium and medium rare but it was between medium and medium well.  She said it would be rubbery when it was undercooked for this kind of cut.  The sauce was decent.   The risotto was undercooked/quite hard.  The pineapple reminded me of Chinese pineapple fried rice.

Heirloom tomato tagliatelle (Roasted artichoke hearts, fresh basil, grana padano, sundried tomato hazelnut pesto) 3/5 - The pasta was salty.  It was cooked just right but with a weird texture.  It reminds me of the Chinese egg noodles.   (Have you seen the trend by now?  I'm wondering if there is some Chinese influences in the menu??)]

Brome lake duck breast (Maple bourbon honey glaze, freeze dried blueberries, duck confit succotash) 3.5/5 - Cooked just about right.  I could take it a little rarer but still okay.  It wasn't overly oily.  The duck confit succotash was amazing.  It was way better than the duck breast itself.  It reminded all of us of the filling of a Chinese lettuce wrap.  I hope they could put this onto their regular menu.

Local Ling Cod, Saltspring mussels, tiger prawns, autumn vegetables, coconut red curry

Vanilla bean panna cotta, Sour cherry compote 3/5 - Creamy, lots of vanilla bean in the bottom.  The sour cherry reminded me of umeboshi (Japanese dried plums).  The gooseberry was one of the sweetest one I had for a while.  Someone commented it was the best dish of the night.

Passionfruit tart, Lemon Chantilly, meringue, raspberry coulis 3.75/5 - better than my expectation.  The passionfruit was strong and the tart was nice.  The coulis matched perfectly with the tart too.

Service 2.5/5 - There were 20-30 minutes between each course and another 20 minutes waiting for our bill.  I felt bad reminding her about this again since she was one of the two servers running around.  She had to run to the back, the bar, and the patio.  Our server was not really nice answering our questions on the menu.  She expected us to understand the Italian words on the menu.  Our bread and drinks came after our appetizers but the others got their drinks right away at the bar.

George: Ultra Lounge & Wine Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment