Thursday 4 June 2015

MoMa Contemporary Bistro

Steamed clams, sake-miso broth, wakeme, scallions $12 3.5/5 – The clams were fatty and the portion was decent.  The miso broth could be a little less saltier.

Mushroom flatbread, caramelized onion, truffle, mozzarella, arugula $12 4/5 – It was something totally out of my expectation.  The flatbread was a sheet of phyllo.  It came out fresh out of the oven with a hint of truffle oil.  That was why we ordered the other type of pizza.

Prosciutto & Arugula flatbread, peppernata, smoked provolone $13 3/5 – Unfortunately, it was on a regular pizza dough.  There was only one slice of prosciutto and I wished there was more.   There wasn’t enough cheese too.

Crispy pork belly, taro root puree, mostarda, chili oil, natural jus $12.5 4/5 – I really enjoyed this but not one of my friend.  He found it was a little too dry.  I think it was because the pork belly was not thick enough.  Every side of the belly was nicely cooked.  I didn’t able to pick out the chili oil nor mostarda.

Scallops, celery root puree, potato, moma bacon $14 4/5 - $14 with 3 small to mid size scallops.  They were pan-fried perfectly.  The roots chips were made in house.  Same sides as the stripling.  

Smoked Brome Lake duck breast, kumquat, lentils, seasonal vegetables $27 3.5/5 – I’m not a big fan of duck and I still found it was a little too gamey.  The skin was nicely pan-fried but the skin was still not crispy.  I enjoyed the sides of the lentils, sliced peas, and the kumquats.  I thought they were kumquats.
Pemberton Meadows Beef Striploin, 8oz grass fed natural beef, potato fondant, black pepper jus $28 3.5/5 – We ordered it medium rare but it was a little over.  The yellow powder on top was garlic powder?  It was a little too strong and masked the beef.  

BC sablefish, farmer’s vegetables, spaetzle, soy marinated $25 2/5 – Our server recommended it and it was a disappointment.  It was overcooked and a little fishy.  It tasted more like a halibut than sablefish.  I could not find any of the fatty, flakey sliced fish.  A lack of richness.

Slow Braised Veal Cheek Tagliatelle, parmigiano, natural jus $17 3/5 – J@vanbrosia stronger recommended this dish so I had really high hopes for it.  The tagliatelle was a little overcooked.  The slow braised veal cheek was juicy but nothing outstanding.  I wish there was more cheese.

Award Winning Apple Pie $9 3.5/5 – Our server stronger recommended it.  It was a little too sweet for me and the apples were mashed.  I wish there were some slices to add texture.  The vanilla was just a plain vanilla ice-cream.  I saw they had a tomato sorbet with a salad on their daily menu.  Too bad I couldn’t just side order that.

Service 3/5 - Although there was only one staff in the front, she was still able to have everything under control.  She asked if we want any pictures and offered to help for cake cutting.  I don’t think they charged us for that too.  Chef Henry was off that night.  I was wondering if that was the reason why the appetizers tasted better than the entrees.  I might come back when Chef Henry is around next time.

Click to add a blog post for MoMa Contemporary Bistro on Zomato

2 comments:

  1. Great post on "MoMa Contemporary Bistro". As a professional chef i have to appreciate your work. Keep Posting useful posts like this. Keep in touch with my websites- cooking institute in dubai | cookery college dubai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,我咗去youtube去分享我生活點滴,希望支持下
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7_I-RR9txZ4

    ReplyDelete