Tuesday 12 August 2014

La Buca

Aperol Spritz $9.5

Ricotta and truffle tortellini with smoked prosciutto and sage butter $13.5 3/5 - I could barely tasted any truffle in the pasta.  much smaller than the risotto.  It only came with 3 pieces in the half order.

Lobster, scallop & wild shrimp risotto, fresh corn, fava beans $13.5 (half order) 4.5/5 - A little salty but still acceptable.  It had more scallops than the lobster and shrimps combined.  The risotto was cooked right (not too hard nor too soft).  I would go back for this.

Veal shortribs, lobster & spring onion mashed potato, spinach, heirloom carrots $29 3.5/5 - very tender.  Did not able to taste the lobster and spring onion in the mashed potatoes.  I thought it was just regular mashed.

Rockfish, Clams, Tomato Broth 4/5 $28 - simpler version of cioppino.  Clams were smaller but the broth was flavourful.  I wish it came with bread for dipping.

Crisp roasted Cornish hen, ragu of vegetables & gnocchi, chicken jus, olive oil, herbs   $29.5 4/5 - super crispy skin.  Came with lots of veggies.

Grilled rack of lamb, pesto crushed fingerlings, fried olives, spicy herb & garlic vinaigrette $31 3/5 - I'm not a big fan of lamb.  It was too gamey for me.  It was also the smallest portion of all (3 racks).  Keep that in mind that lamb is also a little more expensive.

Pork Chop, Corn Fritters, Peaches, JalapeƱo $27.5

Panna Cotta $8 3.5/5 - People were crazy about their panna cotta so I had high hopes for it.  It was sweeter than what I want (and most of the other panna cotta).

Olive Oil Cake $8 4.5/5 - better than expectation.  Most of the other olive oil cakes I've had were dry.  This was moist and the extra olive oil on the plate made it much better.  The heavy cream on the side was very smooth.

Zeppole $8 4/5 - 3 fluffy donuts with the right amount of cinnamon and sugar freshly made in-house.  It reminds me of the Lee's Donuts.


Flourless Chocolate Cake $8 4/5 - I thought this was going to be dense and sweet.  This one wasn't and sweetness was totally acceptable.

Definitely one of the better meals I've had recently.  I wasn't expecting much since I didn't enjoy their sister restaurant Pied-a-Terre.  Food was a little on the saltier side (I guess this is the signature of Italian food.)  Portions were acceptable and probably more than what the norm is.  It is located in an area where I would expect to find a decent restaurant.  I thought it would be dead after the stores are closed.  It was also a cozy restaurant where it could be noisy when it's packed.  It was a little noisy on a weekend with only 5 tables.

La Buca on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment